14th Annual Women in Surgery Career Symposium
The Women in Surgery (WIS) Career Symposium is a professional and academic event dedicated to encouraging more women to pursue careers in Surgery. It promotes both personal and professional growth and is designed to foster mentorship as well as a peer network. It also provides a forum to discuss contemporary issues and opportunities for women who have chosen or may choose a career in Surgery.
Participants will be able to interact with women who are thought leaders in Surgery and pioneers in advancing women in Surgery.
The annual WIS career symposium serves as a forum to discuss the issues and challenges confronting women as they seek to advance in a changing but still male-dominated field and to share successes and advice for breaking the glass ceiling in Surgery.
Furthermore, the intention is to highlight the importance of advancing women toward careers in Surgery by providing meaningful avenues for surgical professionals and students to interact, exchange ideas, and formulate effective strategies in advancing this important endeavor.
Stay tuned for our upcoming agenda and faculty information. Registration begins December 2023.
Upon completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Actively seek out and improve upon existing mentor/mentee relationships.
- Identify specific issues facing women in Surgery.
- Cultivate techniques for handling discrimination in the workplace effectively and professionally.
- Pursue leadership positions in Surgery.
- Possess an understanding of the basic skills and requirements for pursuing leadership positions.
- Identify where and why there is need for women in leadership roles.
- Utilize professionalism in a discipline in which men are traditionally more predominant.
- Implement specific coping methods and networking skills to promote a career in a discipline in which men are traditionally more predominant.
- Better appreciate the need to negotiate “equal pay for equal work”.
- Generate reasonable expectations regarding lifestyle issues in residency and early career.
- Implement basic strategies for financial security.
- Recognize issues regarding pregnancy during a surgical career.
- Be equipped to plan for pregnancy during residency and beyond.
- Employ and optimize strategies for balancing children and marriage in the face of a demanding profession.
- Acknowledge and help further the goals for the future of women in Surgery and be empowered to move toward those goals.
- Apply stress-relieving techniques.
- Determine what sub-specialty women surgeons most commonly pursue.
- Summarize guidelines that will strengthen your professional image.
- Interpret the discrepancies between perceived and actual earned salary of women surgeons.
510 Water St., Tampa, FL 33602
To book your hotel room, call (888) 789-3090 or click the “Book Hotel Room” button.
Booking Deadline: February 29, 2024
Embrace modern luxury. Discover a hotel destination that offers just what you need, exactly when you need it. JW Marriott Tampa Water Street combines modern luxury with the sophisticated energy of Tampa’s vibrant downtown district; the Tampa Riverwalk, Amalie Arena and other attractions are right at your fingertips. Find wellness in the Spa by JW®, with its luxurious treatments and custom massages. Relax and bask in the Florida sun at our resort-style pools, which feature private cabanas and scenic water views. Catch an awe-inspiring sunset from our outdoor terrace or savor locally inspired dishes from six dining outlets, showcasing indoor and outdoor seating. After a day of exploration, unwind in sophisticated lodging with stunning city and water views, contemporary décor and elegant touches. From chef-crafted specialties to holistic wellness amenities to sleek, modern rooms, the JW Marriott Tampa Water Street is dedicated to your well-being.
|High School STEM Student||$0.00|
Notifications of cancellation must be submitted in writing. Cancellation requests are automatically subject to a $100 cancellation fee. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made within one month prior to the meeting. Please send cancellation notifications to Rachael at [email protected].